Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012 edited

I really liked this earlier, so playing again. I think it was one of Jonah's Jazz Picks a couple of weeks ago, but I only downloaded this morning with new credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBrighternow

Femme Fatale - Eva Petersen:

- The Lady with the Emerald Green Eyes - Emusic
    • CommentAuthorPlong42
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012

Elgar: Violin Concerto / Chausson: Poeme, four long, album only tracks via Guvera
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaulR

•  
      CommentAuthorGermanprof

(For US folk that Arve Henriksen album ^^ is very interesting and on Guvera)
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

G.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

•  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

G.
    • CommentAuthorkez

Susan McKeown - Belong

Oh my, oh my! This is definitely making my 'best of 2012' list. I have loved Susan McKeown's strong beautiful voice ever since her 1998 celtic album, Bushes & Briars. I have continued to follow her since that time through her subsequent forge into folk music and when I saw she had a Pledgemusic project up to drum up support for a brand new album, I climbed on board without hesitating. Got her CD in the mail a while back but I'm just now getting around to listening to it. This one absolutely leaves me speechless. Truly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDoofy

You know where. Informative customer reviews at Amazon...Line-up includes 2 trombones plus tuba!
    • CommentAuthorgreg

•  
      CommentAuthorGermanprof

I think Mingus might be the next person I try to reduce the Guvera credits stack with.
    Re jazz and Guvera, if I ruled the world one piece of legislation I would look to pass would be one that says that any album that is not an original album as released by the artist has to to have a special symbol next to it under pain of heavy fines, so that it's possible for folk like me to tell on a page of Guvera jazz hits which are the "real" albums and which are various compilations, rehashes, ripoffs, collections of tracks for lovers, etc. without squinting at tiny album titles and lots of cross-referencing to Amazon and Wikipedia. Grumble, grumble.
    Having fun really.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

RIP - I was there the night that this was recorded during the first half. After the interval he played the 'hits'. One of my musical highlights. As an aside - it is interesting that there is a London bus on the cover, it was actually recorded 60 miles away in Northampton, as confirmed on the CD sleeve!
    Soundcloud:
    •  
      CommentAuthorGermanprof

@greg, perhaps Northampton is, um, a shade less iconic :-)

"Francis Dhomont’s influence spans beyond the scope of his musical practice. The human richness of his art, his serious and pragmatical approach to theory, his honest and tactful union of philosophy and music, the fierce life animating his compositions are all essential elements of his inspiring work.

On December 15th, 2001, fifteen musicians unveiled fourteen eclectical remixes of Dhomont’s landmark compositions. A sincere hommage made of acousmatic snapshots and live performances."
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

G. (and also brought to you by Carnival Cruise Royal Carribean Cruise Lines.)
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

G. (GP, you should stream this one; I could see you liking it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkargatron

I took a history of jazz class at Rice University from Dwight Andrews back in 1987 or so - he lent me a lot of records providing my first exposure to avant-garde jazz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGermanprof

Many thanks, amclark - listening now. I had only thought to search before under "Wadada Leo Smith" (d'oh) and already found and downloaded Kulture Jazz from Guvera, which is great. This sounds good so far too.
    GP: If you are getting into smith, you should check out Red Sulphur Sky on Tzadik (not at Guvera).
    •  
      CommentAuthorGermanprof

Will do! Tzadik left emusic too didn't they? ....yup, it's not there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGermanprof

G.

"A 48 minute epic voyage into a deep red ocean that just goes down and down .....Don't call it ambient , this is the stuff of lucid dreams where fleeting memories of past lives present themselves and tease you into chasing them through forbidden territories. Don't be fooled by the blue cover- it's red down there. . ."
    • CommentAuthorgreg

I agree GP - shows how stereotypically Britain can bew viewed, though.

edit - image is from Amazon - yet still not level! Now I would not be surprised if it was emusic
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorcafreema

Very much a Scott Walker album. Creepy and gorgeous all at once.

furniture

Craig
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

G.

GP - were you able to find the long tracks on Geechee/Sweet Earth Flying on Guv.? Also, if you like Marion Brown, and since you like ambient, you should definitely check out Eno and Harold Budd's Pavilion of Dreams, part of Eno's Obscure Records run, and featuring Marion Brown on the first track which clocks in at 18 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGermanprof
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012 edited

Craig, no the long tracks are missing. I think it's fair to say I like *some* Marion brown so far. I know about the PoD album but haven't really given it time.
    furniture
    • CommentAuthorgreg

• CommentAuthorgreg

•  
      CommentAuthorBrighternow

Released 01 April 2006
    Yannis Kyriakides: laptop
    Lucio Capece: soprano saxophone, bass clarinet
    Chez Guvera:

I always intended to get some Lateef.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

@amclark2 - I was going to ask if you found any seeds or stems in there but I realize that's the outside of the album cover.
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

James Ferraro - No Regrets Mix (free dl)

Seeds and stems? No, it's pretty pure.

- ""Silvermandalas" was the second of The Silverman's solo albums and simply cannot be categorised. It isn't ambient or even drone music in the accepted sense as there are numerous sonic events occurring throughout the entire sumptuous voyage. It's a great place to begin if you haven't heard any of Silverman's solo albums before- I promise you, you'll dive in deeper. While the original album has been remastered here, it's more to do with the possibilities afforded by today's technology rather than any failings of the original master.Quite simply, it always sounded good....."
    - Edward Ka-Spel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGermanprof

•  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcafreema

Maher Shalal Hash Baz - Blues du Jour

Drip

Craig

I never heard this guy before. Monkish, more masculine but also more romantic.
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

Ditto.
    • CommentAuthorPlong42

Thanks to BigD on the "inside tips and mispriced box sets" thread, my next 680+ minutes of listening are set....
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Calligraphy - Dave Chisolm
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoramclark2

Disco Inferno - D.I. Go Pop

Güv.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBrighternow

- Just added to my best of 2012 list:

- "As any filmmaker knows, one of the most powerful aspects of music is its ability to construct emotional arcs and guide narrative by purely sonic means. Simultaneously ethereal and concrete, both spectral and textural, Planet X—the debut collaboration between guitarist Erdem Helvacioglu and violist Ulrich Mertin—tells the story of the appearance in the sky of a new heavenly body and follows one hapless explorer’s quest to discover what lies at its heart. Over the course of two years, Helvacioglu and Mertin composed and crafted this project, building up layers of jagged scratching sounds, plaintive melodies, percussive hits, and dark drones. The two artists grounded the sound of the album in strings but also employed unorthodox recording techniques, sophisticated processing algorithms, and multi-tracking to achieve a rich, complex, resonant texture. Throughout, the sound is unmistakably forward-looking, evocative of the project’s science fiction themes and redolent of the eerie, sometimes dark feel of sci-fi films like “Alien,” “Moon,” and “2001.”
    - Innova Recordings 2012